The Forge Celebrates Coderetreat’s 10th Anniversary!
Join us at the Forge to participate in a full day of practicing software and design fundamentals!
Gather with like-minded people over food and drinks to learn and flex your creativity on fun coding exercises. You’ll practice the basics of modular and object-oriented design—helping improve your skills to write simple, clean code that minimizes the cost of change over time.
Date: Saturday, November 16
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Place: The Chicago Forge at mHUB—965 W. Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60642
WHAT’S THE EVENT ABOUT?
It’s the 10th year of Global Day of Coderetreat and it will be held over two consecutive days, across the world! For more info on Global Day of Coderetreat and to see everywhere it will be happening this year, visit coderetreat.org—don't forget to check out the about page to find out the history of it and more.
This event is for all experience levels—college students, Jr. Developers, Mid and Sr. It’s for individuals that are always looking to continually improve their craft, as there is always a lot we can learn from each other.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT?
- Learning new ways to improve your software craft!
- Pairing and test driving with TDD.
- Exploring new languages and frameworks.
- Dedicated time to practice code!
- Meeting and connecting with others who have similar interests and needs.
- We’ll fill a room with developers from diverse backgrounds!
- Start with an interesting programming problem: Conway's Game of Life.
- Over the day, we’ll work with different partners to discuss and solve the problem in lots of different ways.
- We’ll all be pair programming practicing TDD to implement your solutions.
|8:45-9:45 a.m.||Check-in, and breakfast|
|10-10:45 a.m.||Session #1|
|10:45-11 a.m.||Retrospective, break|
|11-11:45 a.m.||Session #2|
|11:45 a.m. - 12 p.m.||Retrospective, break|
|1-1:45 p.m.||Session #3|
|1:45-2 p.m.||Retrospective, break|
|2-2:45 p.m.||Session #4|
|2:45 p.m.||Closing circle|
DON’T FORGET TO BRING…
- An appetite for practicing your software crafting skills!
- Your laptop and its power supply—if you have a favorite set of development tools or a favorite test framework(s), make sure they're installed before you arrive.
COMMUTING & PARKING:
The mHub lot is open for free parking—this is the fenced lot that's right next to the building. If the lot is full, you can park on the street via paid meter.
Not driving? There are plenty of other ways to get to the Chicago Forge—bike, train, bus, you name it. Visit https://mhubchicago.com/page/location to find out which mode of transportation works best for you!
We look forward to celebrating Coderetreat’s 10th Anniversary with you!